Mean + 동명사는 행위의 결과가 무엇이 될지, 또는 무엇이 필요할지를 표현합니다. 단어 mean 은 involve로 대체할 수도 있습니다.
- If you take that job in London it will mean travelling for two hours every day.
- We could take the ferry to France, but that will mean spending a night in a hotel.
- Buying this jacket now means not buying another until next year.
- Leaving school would mean finding a job.
Mean + 부정사는 의도나 계획을 표현합니다. mean은 intend로 대체할 수도 있습니다.
- Did you mean to dial this number?
- I mean to finish this job by the end of the week!
- I didn't mean to hurt you.
- I meant to return the books on time.