과거 진행 시제
과거 진행형의 기능
과거 진행형은 과거에 시작되고 말하는 시간에도 여전히 진행되고 있는, 지금 이전 시간에 행위나 사건을을 묘사합니다. 다른 말로, 이것은 과거에서는 완료되지 않거나 종료되지 않은 행위를 표현합니다.
- 과거 시제로 쓰여진 이야기에서 배경을 묘사할 때 자주 사용됩니다. 예를 들면, "The sun was shining and the birds were singing as the elephant came out of the jungle. The other animals were relaxing in the shade of the trees, but the elephant moved very quickly. She was looking for her baby, and she didn't notice the hunter who was watching her through his binoculars. When the shot rang out, she was running towards the river..."
- 또 다른 사건이나 행위로 방해받아서 종료되지 않은 행위를 묘사하기 위해서. 예들 들면, "I was having a beautiful dream when the alarm clock rang."
- 마음의 변화를 표현하기 위해서: 예를 들면, "I was going to spend the day at the beach but I've decided to get my homework done instead."
- 'wonder'와 함께, 매우 정중한 요청을 하기 위해서: 예를 들면, "I was wondering if you could baby-sit for me tonight."
- They were waiting for the bus when the accident happened.
- Caroline was skiing when she broke her leg.
- When we arrived he was having a bath.
- When the fire started I was watching television.
주의: 일반적으로는 진행형 형태로 사용되지 않는 동사들의 경우, 단순 과거형이 사용됩니다.
과거 진행형 만들기
모든 동사의 과거 진행형은 두 부분으로 이뤄져 있습니다: 동사 "be 동사"의 과거형 (was/were), 그리고 주동사의 원형+ing.
|주어||was/were||원형 + ing|
To play, 과거 진행형
|I was playing||I was not playing||Was I playing?|
|You were playing||You were not playing||Were you playing?|
|He was playing||He wasn't playing||Was he playing?|
|We were playing||We weren't playing||Were we playing?|
|They were playing||They weren't playing||Were they playing?|